The following activities were taken up by Dharani – Eco club members int the year 2017-18
- World Earth Day Celebrations - 10 volunteers of our Eco club participated and conducted awareness programme “ Mana Cheruvu Swachh Cheruvu” at Neknampur lake near Narsingi on 22nd April 2017. Pamphlets were distributed about the need, importance of the lake, its Biodiversity and protection.
- Harithaharam –Plantation programme at Khajaguda lake - 40 Eco club students volunteered for a plantation programme as part of Harithaharam at khajaguda lake on 15th july 2017 This was followed by a Nature walk around the lake.
- Dharini Eco club volunteers participated in a plantation programme on June 15th 2017 at Malkam cheruvu as part of lake restoration project .
- Clay Idol Making Workshop - In view of celebrating festivals in a Eco friendly way Eco club of our college organized clay idol making workshop in our college premises. Around 100 students participated in the workshop held on 23rd August 2017 Mr.Bhargav and colleagues from Youth For Seva, NGO were the resource persons.
- Rally for Lakes at People’s Plaza Necklace Road - Dharini Eco club in collaboration with Dhruvansh organized and participated in a” Rally for Lakes” on 5th August 2017 at People’s Plaza. During this awareness program, Pamphlets with information about immersion activities during festivals were distributed.
- Sale of Eco friendly Ganesha - Sale Of Ecofriendly Ganesha On 24th August 2017 Dharini Eco club organized a sale of clay idols in our college campus. Also awareness was created on how bucket immersion of idols can protect our lakes from pollution
- Save Water& Save Earth Poster/ Drawing Contest - Painting /Poster activity on the theme :Save Earth/ Save water” was organized for all First students of Eco club .Around 120 students participated in this activity
- KITCHEN WASTE COMPOSTING - Keeping in view the theme of the year-“Citizenship”,Convenor of Dharini ECO CLUB - A.M.Sylaja of St. Ann’s college for women, Mehdipatnam, created an awareness programme on “Kitchen waste composting”. To emphasize on the need for a clean and healthy environment i.e., garbage free city, she presented charts along with interesting talk by power point presentation. Approx. 110 students of Eco club actively interacted during the session and were motivated by the talk.
- Eco club students and volunteers from our college participated in a Wildlife week walk organized by Telangana Forest Academy on 6th October near Harini National Deer Park Vanasthalipuram. Later the volunteers also visited Butterfly park.
- On October 12th ,2017,Mrs. Sailaja from Isha Foundation gave an orientation to our Eco club students on the need and importance of Rivers and how our college can be a part of this Rally For Rivers campaign
- Student volunteers of Dharini ECO CLUB volunteered for GREEN DIWALI AWARENESS EVENT “AAKASHGANGA” THE LIGHTNING FESTIVAL organized by Dhruvansh and Eco club of St.Ann’s College for women jointly. In a 1 day awareness event organized various competitions like Face Painting, Talent hunt, Dance, Quiz on Wild Life, Quiz on Abdul Kalam,Rangoli on theme Birds and Flowers, etc. on theme entitled “Go Green To Breathe Clean”.
- Mr.Umakanth from ITC Paperboard gave an orientation lecture on Recycling of Dry waste as part of WOW Programme-Well Beong Out Of Waste. Our College signed an MOU with ITC to contribute for recycling of dry waste.
- St.Ann’s college for Women is supporting Dhruvansh in making PBR of four villages i.e. Neknampur, Manikonda Narsingh and Puppalaguda .Dept. of Biochemistry, Botany, Zoology & Microbiology are working on People’s Biodiversity Register project sanctioned to Dhruvansh by Telangana State Biodiversity Board.
- Activity on Carbon Neutrality was organized On December 7th and 14th for all the Eco Club Students on the Theme:”How to make our college and home -Carbon Neutral”.
- Junk Modelling contest was organised during Annofesta on the Theme Making birds and animals using junk material
- Eco club students voluntered for the launch of One Planet Academy,an Online Portal for Teachers and students interested to work on environmental issues.- The website One Planet Academy (OPA) encourages schools to adopt green practices, offers project and activity ideas for the teachers, along with online training courses, and houses games, comics, interactive maps etc, for the students.
- Dharini Eco club and Outreach Rotaract club of our college have initiated “Annite’s Green Corridor Drive” during February and March months of 2018.As part of this drive Fund was raised to buy mud pots and plants ,involving students of every class and all combinations of B.A.,B.Com, and B.Sc. This activity was carried out for two to three weeks., followed by plantation of air purifying plants
- National recycling day celebrations at Uppal
20 students of 2nd and 3rd year BBC participated in Drawing, Elocution and Best Slogan Competition organized at Uppal Circle on 1st July 2016, to celebrate National Recycling Day by ITC WOW, GHMC, and SWACHH TELANGANA. Ms.Rajeshwari from final year BBC won First Prize in Elocution Competition on topic “My Swachh Colony”.
- Inter School Recycling Competition organized in 15 schools
Two teams of 6 students each conducted Interschool Recycling competition ,WOW-Well Being Out OF Waste Programme in around 15 schools in Moinabad region and collected around 8000 kg of dry waste that can be recycled .This was done in collaboration with ITC in the month of July and August.
Another team of 10 students organized WOW Programme and collected Dry waste of around 400 Kg from all Life Sciences and Arts combinations of First year,in the month of September.
- Harithaharam –Plantation programme at Nekmnampur lake and in college campus
20 students of Eco club participated in “My Earth, My Responsibility’’ –Plantation at Neknampur lake near TaramatiBaradri. , on July 11,2016 as part of Harithaharam.
- 50 students of Eco club participated in a Rally organized in view of Harithaharam to create awareness on importance of plants ,pollution control etc by way of displaying placards with slogans on plantation. The rally was lead by Deputy Mayor of Hyderabad.
- Mosquito repellent plants were distributed to the guests on the occasion of Malaria and dengue awareness activity conducted in our college campus by GHMC
- Sale of Eco friendly Ganesha& Clay idol making workshop
20 –students ofEcoclub participated in a campaign for Environment friendly Ganesh Festival Celebrations 2016 organised by TSNGC Pollution Control Board and Dhruvansh at Neknampur Lake on 27 August 2016
- Sale of Eco friendly Ganesha clay idols was organized by Dharini eco club on sep 3 in our college campus and also awareness about celebrating festivals in a eco friendly way was created through display of charts and posters. 10 Dharini volunteers participated in the event.
- Lake shore Cleaning and plantation event was organized at Neknampurlake on 18 August and 15 students participated .Many Tollywood stars also participated in the event.
- World Ozone Day September 16 awareness activity
60 Students participated in Drawing /Painting and Essay writing competition on the Theme “Global Warming”organized by Dhruvansh in collaboration with Dharini Eco Club, In view of creating awareness about ozone layer protection on World Ozone Day on Sep 16.
- A guest lecture on Global warming was also organised. Resource person was Ms.MadhulikaChoudary ,chiefsecretery of Dhruvansh.
- GREEN DIWALI AWARENESS EVENT AAKASHGANGA the Lightning Festival.
30 volunteers for Dharini club organized various competitions like Fancy Dress, Face mask, Speak Bindass, Talent hunt, Dance, Quiz on Wild Life, Paint The wall IN a 3 Day Awareness Event titled AAKASHGANGA .from October 21 to 23
This awareness event endeavoured to sensitise the people towards celebrating an environmentally safe Diwali by pointing out the major impacts that Diwali has on our environment which includes air, water, soil, noise and light pollution. Welcome Dance was performed by students of St.ANNSCOLLEGE , on the concept of Panchabhutalu-The Five elements of NATURE and how to protect them.
The performance received a special appreciation by the Sarpanch who gave a cash prize of Rs.2000 to the performers as a token of appreciation.
This event comprising of competitions , awareness, fun activities, food stalls and many more.
- Projects on Kitchen waste composting, Making of Natural colours from fruits, vegetables and flowers, Home Gardening and Making of PAPER BAGS were done by students of eco club During August and September .
COMPOSTING KITCHEN WASTE IN A BIN
ECO CLUB STUDENTS MAKING ECO FRIENDLY BAGS USING NEWS PAPERS
- videos were screened to create awareness on Biodiversity,Use of Biodegradeble plastic bags, recycling dry waste, making recycled paper from news paper during November and December
- Quiz and pencil sketching activity was conducted on the theme Clean and Green INDIA. for all the eco club students on Dec 8th ,2016
- SIGNIFICANCE OF Rain water harvest pits and how to conserve and save water was done through awareness talk and videos .
“SAVE WATER & THE IMPACT OF SOCIAL MEDIA”
students participated in the talk Titled “Save Water and The Impact of Social Media” conducted by “THE HANS INDIA”. Resource person from HMTV interacted with the students to create an awareness on the importance of conserving the resources for better future and enlightening the students on impact of social media on the society. Students from different streams belonging to ECO CLUB actively participated and had a discussion on the above theme. They realized the importance of saving water for sustainable development. They also understood the wide array of sectors that social media influences.
- Guest lecture and demonstration of Vermi composting by Mr.Naresh from Intipanta, was organised for the students of eco club on January 5, 2017 .
- Uttarayan The Kite Festival
15 students of Eco club participated and volunteered for the two day UTTARAYAN Kite Festival event on Jan 8 and 9th ,2017 planned by Dhruvansh on occasion of celebrating MAKARA Sankranthi in a eco friendly way by avoiding Manjha to fly Kites and creating awareness through Bird walk wherein various species of birds found near the two lakes Ibrahim cheruvu and Neknampur were spotted by Fareed Mohammed from Hyderabad Birding Pals .
Volunteers organised various competitions like Drawing, fancydress, essay writing, kite making and kite flying competitions for around 700 school children from different schools.
- Garbage to garden - Solid Waste Management Campaign on 11 February
Green and Clean Pilot Project at HUDA COLONY Of Manikonda Gram panchayath was taken up on 11 thFeb ,2017 .As part of this project, segregation of waste into wet and dry waste ,distribution of bins to house holds and creating awareness on waste management by highlighting importance of composting wet waste and recycling dry waste was done by our ecoclub volunteers in around 200 households.
This awareness campaign was done in collaboration with Dhruvansh NGO
20 volunteers of eco club who have conducted WOW activity in various schools, wer invited to attend “SwachhSarvekshan- an orientation program ,organized by ITC at L.B.Stadium . on December 23,2016
2015 – 2016
- The Environment Education Course began with an orientation programme highlighting the course details to the registered students.
- Documentary and videos were screened to initiate cleanliness drive and create awareness to keep our college campus clean and neat. Group activity: Charts were made and displayed in the campus.
- In view of “World Population Day –July 11th ”, slogan writing activity was conducted on the theme of “Deforestation and Population control”
- The theme of the semester BIODIVERSITY was introduced by presenting a Seminar and showing videos on Hotspots of biodiversity in India.
- In view of “Hiroshima Day –August 6th”, Presentation was made on Harmful effects of Nuclear Energy and students made Posters and had a group discussion in the class.
- Field Activity: Preparation of a Wall Magazine of Flora and Fauna in our college campus, students were divided into groups and were sent to click photos and compile the data of all plants, insects ,birds etc. in our college campus.
- Videos on Endangered species were screened
- Organized “Best dust bin contest” on Sep 1st, as an initiative to raise awareness on need for dust bins in the campus. The aim was to promote a clean and green campus. Dr.Radhika, Student Dean, and Dr.Sneha HOD, Microbiology Dept. judged the contest.
- In view of creating awareness on “How to make Ganesh Utsav Eco friendly”- charts were made and displayed on different aspects of the eco-friendly Ganesha theme like Plaster of Paris Ganesha vs Eco Ganesha, Use of Natural Colours,the biodiversity concept of Significance of 21 Different types of leaves used in Ganesh UTSAV having medicinal value and how to avoid water pollution, Bucket Immersion of Eco Ganesha etc.
- Also sale of Eco-friendly Ganesha (clay idols) and Eco-friendly bags was organised on 16th Sep in our college campus.
- On 16th Sep, “Ozone Layer Protection Day” is being observed by NSS unit and ECO Club of our college. A rally was organized and also a guest lecture by Prof. Purushottam Reddy on the same theme.
- October first week is being observed as “wild life week”. Keeping this in view a pencil sketching activity and Quiz was organized for our students of Environment Education
- Tekking at Ananthagiri On October 10th: Environment Education students and Eco Club volunteers were taken on a field trip to Ananthagiri Hills. Telangana Special Task Force had taken up the Task of Clean and SundaraAnanthaGiri, under the able guidance of the Director General Mrs. TejdeepKaur. To create awareness among students about importane of forests and wild life and how to protect our wild life and keep our forests clean and green, our students went on two treks at Ananthagiri, one Hornbill trek and other Wood pecker trek.
- Bird Watching was the most interesting part of the trek. Few of our students participated in a painting competition – where in photos of 150 species of birds specially found here at Ananthgiri were displayed for painting.
- On December 5th, students were taken on a field trip to Mahaveer HarinaVanasthali National Park, Vanasthalipuram. It’s a Deer park. The Park is most popular for the Indian Black Bucks. It caters to such educational trips and is visited by diverse crowds. The trip started with a brief walk inside the buffer zone of the park. The guide led the students through the park with information about the park's flora and avian fauna. A few park buses then drove the students through the park for viewing the indigenous fauna. Afterwards, a brief round of the butterfly park was done. A lecture by Friends of Snakes organization was conducted on snake rescue and awareness.
- Survey on waste disposal in Life sciences labs was taken up by our students in first week of December followed by creating awareness among lab attenders on various waste disposal methods through posters and other aids.
- Best out of Waste activity was taken up by our students with great enthusiasm making wonderful, usable items with the paper waste and plastic, during Annofesta.
- On 21st and 28th Jan, Home Gardening Workshop was organised in collaboration with Dept. of Botany
- On Feb 4th Guest lecture on Wealth out of Waste was organized for Environment Education students. Resource person Mr.Umakanth from ITC.
- Composting Yard waste: Demonstration, theory and field activity on Vermicomposting has been planned for the month of February.
- Survey on packaging and waste disposal methods-Awareness programmes are also planned for the Environment Education students.
Initiatives taken by the institution to make the campus Eco-friendly.
- The Eco club in collaboration with departmentof Chemistry has been propagating the message of “ Use less Plastics”
- Awareness compaigns on environment related issues.
- Slogan displayed by student volunteers to promote awarenss.
- Distribution of cloth bags in public places like Rythu bazar to replace plastic bags.
- Field trip to Globian Biotech Solutions at the Genome Valley, Phase III to learn about their manufacturing practives and environment safety practices.
- Intercollegiate competitions in collaboration of department of chemistry highlighting environmental issues.
The volunteers of the eco club took the initiative of creating the awareness about the importance of protecting the environment among the students of the college. They have placed number of posters in strategic positions within the campus.
- Two water dispensers for Birds
- Eco-friendly slogans in prominent places in the college.
- Go green- cloth bags instead of plastic bags
- Two guest lectures
- Screening of a movie
- Inter collegiate competitions in collaboration of dept of Chemistry
- Screening of a movie: The screening of a movie called unpleasant truth has attracted students from all streams. The auditorium was full and the movie seemed to have touched the hearts of quite a few students. The feedback given the students expresses the impact the movie had on them.
- Different water resources for birds are placed with in the campus.
- To create eco-awareness various quotations and sayings are displayed throughout the campus by the volunteers of the committee
- To create awareness in the usage of plastic materials and their hazards in the public ecoclub along with the department of chemistry many cotton bags were distributed for every day usage near Rytubazar and near by colonies
- Organised a guest lecture on "Importance of Environment Management" By Greenpeace Organization On Green Day Thursday, August 1st, 2013
- Competetions on FACE PAINTING & FASHION-SHOW – on the theme “RECYCLE AND REUSE”.
- SHORT VIDEO FILM contest was held based on the theme “Nature in its glory or fury”. Students prepared and showed short video films with an aim of spreading a message to save environment .
- The students were exposed to a very informative and interesting lecture on environmental issues, problems and the management by Prof.GangadharRao –Chairman, Board of studies, Dept. of Botany,Osmania University,Hyderabad.
- This was the collage competition on “Environmental Issues andConcerns” conducted by the department of chemistry in collaboration with the Eco Club of the college. The chief Guest of the day, Prof.GangadharRao was very appreciative of the exhibits and awarded prizes to the best.
- Green day-Green Queen
The Eco awareness drive included the ever popular green queen contest organized by the Dept. of chemistry and Eco club.
- Less plastics-Clearing the debris
The message of “less plastics” was conveyed very clearly by the alarming amount of plastic waste that was collected in the campus
- Elocution: Department of chemistry along with Eco-club organized an elocution competition.
Topic: Development and Environment protection