"Statistical thinking will one day be as necessary for efficient citizenship as the ability to read and write" .H.G Wells
By creating awareness about the universal application of the subject, the department's endeavor is to make statistics the most interesting course.
Statistics is a modern tool of immense versatility with which one can both explore and measure the variability and uncertainty inherent in reality in almost any field. The primary objective of the department of statistics is to take the students from the classroom environ to the "outside".
- Conceptual knowledge, which is primary to any subject, is emphasized upon. By presenting “real” data in relevant examples and realistic situations, the “concepts” are illustrated.
- Independent thinking and development of problem solving skills among students is considered of primary importance.
- Ms. Sai Sri Kishore, faculty of the department & Ms. Sheela Priyanka, a second year student of the department published a paper on Prevalence of abnormal BMI among adolescent girls in an online journal ANN QUEST
- 29/06/2017 – a field trip for II & III year students to CRRAO AIMSCS, UoH Campus, Gachibowli, Hyderabad and participated in National Statistics Day Celebrations, in which, Dr C Rangarajan, Chancellor, University of Hyderabad, former Chairman, Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister of India and Chairman Governing Council, C R Rao AIMSCS was the Chief Guest. .
- 06/07/2017 – A guest lecture by Prof.C.Jayalakshmi, Head, Dept.of Statistics, Osmania University, Hyderabad. Topic: Statistics in Real Life
- 21/10/2017 - An interaction session by alumni of the department Ms.Sreelekha Valli, Pursuing M.B.A.(Buiness Analytics, HCU), Topic: Advanced Education in Statistics and related fields and career prospects
- 16/12/2017 Inter collegiate event- STATA FEST 2017, in which around 100 students participated from 10 different colleges in twin cities
- A guest lecture by Dr. (Ms) Kirti Srivastava, Sr. Principal Scientist and Head of Non‐Linear Geophysics Group at National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI), Hyderabad, India, on “Statistics in Earth Sciences”.
- STAT-Q - A quiz competition
- RANDOM BITS – A poster competition on Role of Statistics in Public Health.
- DATA QUEST – Analyzing and Interpreting Data using MS-Excel
- STAT VOICE, an elocution on Statistics and Society
- STATS FAÇADE – A Dumb Charades competition in Statistics
- 21/12/2017 - As a part of ANNO FESTA 2017, the department organized an inter collegiate poster competition - “Ubiquity of Statistics” for non-statistics students. .
- Ms.D.Srikala, Head of the department delivered 2 guest lectures to M.Com students, St.Ann’s College for Women on Theoretical Discrete Distributions and Normal Distribution.