The Department of Psychology is to provide a personalized and meaningful learning experiences that foster academic excellence, instill ethics and values, and evolve the students into a Positive Personality where the inner and outer persona is strengthened and emerge as Happy Individuals and encourage a lifelong love of learning.
- To appreciate the value of psychological science in society
- To lay the foundations for a scientific perspective and create awareness about the observational and research skills necessary to pursue the science of psychology
- To develop critical thinking skills and the ability to express oneself effectively in written and oral communication
- To provide a greater understanding of human behaviour which is a prerequisite for harmonious existence in society.
Highlights of the Year 2019-20
- A Workshop on Life Skills and Motivation in collaboration with Commerce & Statistics Department was conducted on Life Skills 20th August,2018 in the College.Counselling Cell ‘ Mythri ’ which helps the students identify their problems and guide to resolve them,Mythri has an exclusive room allotted and staffed with a trained counselling psychologist for free consultation.
- Started a free and confidential Helpline in the wake of the Covid-19 to help the students and staff having Psychological and Emotional health issues.
- Every student of final year does a Research project related to the topics they have studied in Psychology during their BA Program.
- The college website has a feature ‘Counsellor Speaks’ which has motivational and self-help articles penned by the Faculty of the department for the benefit of the students and staff.
- Conducts and participates in the Awareness Walks like “Intergenerational Memory Walk” ,Events like Dementia Sensitization and Observes Important days & Week related Alzheimer Day, Suicide Prevention Week,Mental Health week etc in collaboration with Roshni Counselling Centre , Red Cross-Nightingales Trust etc
Completed Research Project
- Lata Subramanya is co-investigator, with Manjula Rao, Department of French, “An exploratory study to measure and identify factors affecting adjustment in college students at entry level.”
- A Case Study of a Male Tennis Player – National Conference of Sports Psychology, OU, Hyderabad.
- “ Psyche meets Nature” at the International Conference “Land, Culture, and Knowledge Systems”, jointly organized by OSLE – India & St. Ann’s College
- "Exploring the Interpersonal Context of Adolescent Depression" at UGC sponsored National Workshop “Counseling Initiatives and Recent in Varied Settings” held at St. Francis College, Hyderabad.