To disseminate and apply knowledge of plants science to everyday life for the betterment of the society.
To acquaint the students with the flora by collecting, identifying and presenting the plant specimens.
To foster awareness on the therapeutic values of medicinal plants in daily life.
To create environmental awareness and conservation of biodiversity.
To initiate a process of learning new skills that ensure employability.
Priority Areas of Research
· Medicinal Botany
· Environmental Science
· Faculty published Research Papers in National and International journals and have Completed Minor Research Projects.
Highlights of the Year 2017-18
- Dr. (Mrs.) Elizabeth Margaret was conferred with The Glory of India Award 2017 by The Best Citizen Publishing House.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Angela was awarded Best Teacher Award 2017 by Rotary Club of Hyderabad District & Awarded Honorary Doctor of Philosophy with Vidya Ratna Award by DIAM University, Kohima, Nagaland.
- Students along with faculty member Ms. S. Kedarini, interacting with the NOBEL LAUREATE- Prof. Erwin Neher, Emeritus Research Director, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen ,Germany on January in the School of Life Sciences at HCU.
- Demonstration class on Vegetable Carving was organized to nurture the culinary skills of students, Mr. Ramakrishna Raju, from Agri Horticulture Society, Hyderabad was the resource person.
- Department of Botany organized a field trip for II year Botany students to Dhulapally forest to explore the flora & learn plant names as a part of academic program.
- Students of IIyr attended Summer Internship program organized by Agri Biotech Foundation (ABF) for period of one month from May 1st to May 31st 2017. Students had Hands on training in the field of Tissue Culture; Marker assisted Breeding and Molecular Transformation.
- The Department conducted an awareness programme on issues related to Global Warming at Vijayalakshmi High School, Santoshnagar Colony, Mehdipatnam, to sensitize students on the importance of environment and their role as young citizens in protecting environment.
- Department of Botany in collaboration with Ecoclub organized Tree plantation Program-Harithaharam at Khazaguda Lake, an initiative by the Government of Telangana.
- A two day workshop was organised for school teachers on Biological Standardization Techniques to provide hands on training, exchange of ideas, information and discussions in the area of the instrumentation and Biochemical analysis.
- The department released the IV issue of News Letter – Bot’anne by Principal, Dr. (Sr.) Amrutha.